lunes, 13 de octubre de 2008

The Birth of Venus


Every one knows this painting; it’s a symbol of not only renaissance painting, but its whole classical ideology. When you see it on paper it beautiful, maybe extraordinary, definitely a work of art, but the feeling you get when you stand in front of that enormous 172.5 × 278.5 cm canvas is breathtaking, overwhelming and pure bliss all at the same time.
It was painted by Sandro Botticelli and depicts, as its name tells us, Venus’ birth, emerging from a shell as a grown woman arriving at shore.
The first time I saw the real painting was on Florentine spring 1999, I was eleven years old and was my second time on Florence, but the first I could recall. My father took me to the Uffizi gallery down town. At the time I wasn’t too eager to go to a museum at that period of my life, but he convinced me. Once I stepped inside Venus’s room I couldn’t stop looking, mesmerized by this painting in front of me.
That visit to Uffizi gallery, especially because of this particular painting, changed the whole museum experience for me.As an eleven year old, its extreme beauty and harmony captivated me in a way no other work of art had done before. Probably it dose no depict taste of art these days but It’s special value has no comparison. Since that day on I became a real art contemplator and a frustrated artist; I’ve tried… definitely not my strength.

No hay comentarios: